In this post, I will tell you how you can get into anime if you are a complete beginner and if you are not aware of the anime industry. This is based on my personal experience, but it will definitely help you if you follow in the same footsteps.
I watched my first anime series 3 years ago. Before that, I was a usual fan of Hollywood Movies as well as animated movies by Pixar and Disney. But the majority were definitely animated movies, the reason is that these movies have an excellent storyline, more content, diverse story and really interesting characters. Also, it’s not worth forgetting that they carry a very good message for society. At that time, I was aware of animes but hadn’t really watched any of them. But then one of my friends suggested watching Death Note and since I was not comfortable with Japanese audio, I searched for the dubbed version.
After watching its first episode, I was speechless. I kept thinking why I hadn’t watched it earlier, it was so good. It was really a very new experience for me, the events in the story started giving me goosebumps and hyped me up pretty good. But it was just the beginning.
- Started off Pretty Good, But Lost Touch
- I started Exploring Different Genres
- Its Time to Watch Top-rated Animes
- The Allure of Anime
- Step One: Finding the Right Anime Show
- Step Two: Watching with subtitles or not
- Step Three: Understanding Japanese Culture
- Step Four: Don’t Be Ashamed
- Step Five: Find an Anime Club or Online Community
Started off Pretty Good, But Lost Touch
Unlike any other newbie, I didn’t completely start hunting for other animes after finishing Death Note. The problem is that at that time there were only a few legit and free (and ad-free) streaming sites showing popular animes. So I kept myself calm and gradually started losing touch with watching anime.
But soon, I saw myself getting back onto the anime track, starting off again, but this time with a very underrated and less-watched anime, in short, an anime that was not very popular. It was whopping 100 episodes, but I anyways watched it slowly and steadily. To my surprise, I found myself completing it and taking away one of the best experiences, knowledge and wisdom. I felt that every anime has its own importance and key takeaways.
Lessons for you:
- While starting off watching animes, you don’t have to pressurize yourself to continue watching them one after the other. Give your mind some time to relax, until it asks for more.
- Don’t jump into too many different genres, and avoid watching newly airing animes, especially if you are starting out with popular animes.
- Do not get intimidated by the number of episodes and do not feel compelled to watch multiple episodes in a day. It is okay if you watch even one episode per week. Get yourself familiarized with the flow of anime stories and try to understand the characters.
- It is okay if you drop a few animes after watching 1 or 2 episodes. It is always better to know your taste.
I started Exploring Different Genres
I felt that now I was ready to explore rather than just watch, so I picked up a sports anime. I watched it regularly every day and finished it. I was surprised that I didn’t even need to learn about that particular sport for which the anime is about. By seeing the characters play brilliantly, my love and respect for that sport, and the anime grew significantly.
Lessons for you:
- Animes are very intuitive. No matter which background you are from, the story will always be tailored for a newbie.
- Never judge anime before watching it. Give yourself some time to analyze by watching 1 or 2 episodes. Then slowly take it up a notch if you feel invested.
- Never hesitate to explore. Try to get out of your comfort zone and watch multiple genres. Once you know your taste, it will be easier to find other animes to watch.
Its Time to Watch Top-rated Animes
At this point, I was eager to watch the top animes because I was curious about why they are popular and what makes them special. I picked up Attack On Titan, My Hero Academia, Dr Stone and this list goes on to date. Still, I haven’t watched all the popular animes, but whenever I watch one, I become a fan of them.
Lessons for you:
- Watching popular animes will give you an understanding of the highest bar that animes can achieve in animation, fluidity, storytelling, character development and music.
- It will help you narrow down your taste and interest.
- It will be easier for you to compare animes which will ultimately help you in picking up newer ones for watching. It will reduce your effort to search for good animes.
- You will be able to recommend anime really well to your newbie anime friends since you know their taste as well.
The Allure of Anime
Anime has been around for decades, but its popularity in the West has exploded in recent years. If you’re new to anime, you might wonder what the fuss is about. Here are 10 reasons why anime is so popular and why you should give it a try.
- 1. Anime is visually stunning.
- 2. Anime tells stories that are emotional and thought-provoking.
- 3. Anime covers a wide range of genres, so there’s something for everyone.
- 4. Anime characters are incredibly relatable and easy to connect with.
- 5. Anime often subverts expectations and challenges norms.
- 6. The voice acting in anime is top-notch.
- 7. The music in anime is beautiful and moving.
- 8. The animation in anime is fluid and realistic.
- 9. There’s a huge variety of anime to choose from.
- 10. Once you get into anime, you’ll quickly develop a deep love for it.
Step One: Finding the Right Anime Show
One of the best ways to get into anime is to find a show that appeals to you. There are so many great anime shows out there, with something for everyone. Whether you’re into action, adventure, comedy, drama, or romance, there’s an anime show for you. To find the right anime show for you, start by taking a look at some of the most popular ones. If you’re not sure where to start, try checking out the top 10 lists on sites like Anime News Network or Crunchyroll. You can also read reviews of anime shows to get a better idea of what they’re like. Once you’ve found a few shows that look interesting to you, it’s time to start watching! Start with the first episode of each show and see if you like it. If you find yourself getting hooked, then you know you’ve found a winner.
If you’re still not sure where to start, here are 10 great anime shows to get you started:
- 1. Attack on Titan
- 2. Death Note
- 3. Naruto
- 4. One Piece
- 5. Fullmetal Alchemist
- 6. Fairy Tail
- 7. Sword Art Online
- 8. Cowboy Bebop
- 9. Wolf’s Rain
- 10. Samurai Champloo
Step Two: Watching with subtitles or not
If you’re new to anime, you might be wondering whether it’s better to watch with subtitles or not. While there are pros and cons to both, we recommend watching with subtitles first. This way, you’ll follow the story more easily and understand what’s going on. Plus, you can always turn off the subtitles later if you find that you don’t need them.
Step Three: Understanding Japanese Culture
If you want to get into anime, it’s important to understand the Japanese culture that surrounds it. Anime is a product of Japan, and as such, it is deeply intertwined with Japanese culture. To understand anime, you need to understand the culture that created it.
Here are 5 easy steps to help you get started:
1. Learn about the history of anime. This will give you a good foundation for understanding the genre and its roots.
2. Familiarize yourself with Japanese culture. This will help you understand the references and jokes in anime.
3. Start watching anime. There are tons of great shows out there, so find something that interests you and dive in!
4. Join an online community. There are many forums and websites dedicated to anime where you can interact with other fans and learn more about the genre.
5. Visit Japan. If you really want to immerse yourself in anime culture, there’s no better way than to experience it firsthand in Japan!
Step Four: Don’t Be Ashamed
Anime is a great way to escape the mundane reality of everyday life. It’s a window into another world where you can explore new cultures and meet interesting characters. Watching anime can also help you learn about different aspects of Japanese culture, such as cuisine, fashion, and language.
If you’re interested in getting into anime, there’s no need to be ashamed. Just follow these five easy steps and you’ll be on your way to becoming an anime fan in no time.
Step Five: Find an Anime Club or Online Community
If you want to get into anime, one of the best things you can do is find an anime club or online community. These communities are full of people who love anime and are more than happy to help newbies get started. In addition to providing support and advice, these communities can also be a great source of information about new and upcoming anime. So if you’re unsure where to start, look for an anime club in your area or join an online community today.